09 December 2016

Pressure Measurements for CW-Paddles

Fingers are a sensible instrument, but you never know if your own fingers behave as predicted. It is easy to measure and adjust the contact gap of a paddle with a feeler gauge. But when it comes to adjusting the paddle tension your on your own ... until now.


French Dynamometer testing the Palm Pico Single

It is easy to use.



Connect your paddle to your transceiver and press the feeler until you hear a sidetone. This Dynamometer is very sensible and its range goes from +50 to -50 gram. So it is easy to check both paddles or both sides of your paddle.

So I wanted to see how good my tacticle feeling was and I started to measure my paddles.

Scheunemann, Palm Single, Palm Pico Paddle
The Palm Radio Paddles leave the factory with a preinstalled tension of
  • Palm Pico Single 15 gram 
  • Palm Single : 10 gram 
And it took me quite a while to adjust it to my needs. Although it is not recommended to reduce the tension below a certain point to guarantee the centering of the paddle, I wanted that the paddle reacts to a soft blowing wind.

So when the Dynamometer arrived I tested my paddles.
(Right -> thumb dash and Left -> index finger dot)

Palm Single:
  • right 7 g
  • left   6 g
Palm Pico Single
  • right 6 g
  • left    6 g
Scheunemann Single
  • right 10 g
  • left    11 g
Don't ask me why I need more pressure for the Scheunemann. All in all I was satisfied, that my tacticle feeling in my fingers was as it should be and I will not touch the screws for the adjustment of the paddle tension.

If you want to test it by yourself, you can get a Dynamometer from Eliseo IK6BAK. You will find more information on this page. I wrote an eMail to Eliseo and everything went without problems.

You will find additional discussions on  Antons Blog.

Stay Tuned!